The Mid-Atlantic Regional Commissioner's Association (MARCA) Ethnic Minority Careers in Athletics Symposium (EMCAS) is a multi-day, virtual program developed for ethnic minorities who are aspiring to, or just beginning, a career in athletics. This multi-day, virtual program aims to enrich participants' skills, expand their professional network and promote the recruitment and retention of ethnic minorities within athletics, including the intercollegiate setting.
|February 2||Application opens here|
|March 2||Application closes|
|March 9||Participants notified of acceptance|
|March 30||Final symposium materials distributed|
|April 6 / 8 / 9||Symposium dates (roughly 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm each night)|
Any current student, recent graduate, or employee from a MARCA member institution who identifies as an ethnic minority may participate (includes graduate students and non-student-athletes). View the list of MARCA institutions here.
For the purposes of the symposium, racial ethnic minorities are described pursuant to federal guidelines as below:
- American Indian or Alaskan Native (not Hispanic or Latino): A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.
- Asian (not Hispanic or Latino): A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Black or African American (not Hispanic or Latino): A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa.
- Hispanic or Latino: A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (not Hispanic or Latino): A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa or other Pacific Islands.
Participants shall be selected by a review committee.
The 2021 MARCA Careers in Athletics Symposium will take place virtually through the Zoom platform.
APPLICATIONS for the symposium are available here until March 2.
COST OF ATTENDING
The symposium is funded through special diversity grants received from NCAA Division III. These grants will cover the full cost of attendance for participants.
Jessica Cherry, Marymount University
Marqus Hunter, Ursinus College
Amber Thomas, Centennial Conference
Renee Bostic, Notre Dame of Maryland University
Sarah Twiggs, Landmark Conference
Melissa Brooks, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Florham Campus
Danielle Lynch, Penn State-Harrisburg
Isaiah Rodgers, Old Dominion Athletic Conference
Marie Stroman, Middle Atlantic Conference
THANK YOU to the principal sponsors of this program!
NCAA Division III
Atlantic East Conference
Colonial States Athletic Conference
Middle Atlantic Conference
North Eastern Athletic Conference
Old Dominion Athletic Conference
QUESTIONS? Contact Marie Stroman, MAC Associate Executive Director (email@example.com)